Strathmere History & Vintage images - page 1 - page 2




The history of the island, as far back as we can tell, can be traced to John & Jennie Burk. They owned the entire island from the northern point of Corson's Inlet, down to the southern point of Townsend's Inlet in Sea Isle City. Around 1881 the island was deeded to Matilda Landis. She and her attorney Charles Landis helped develop the island with the Sea Isle City Improvement Corp. They started the division and development of the entire island. Several different companies came along later with plans of development too, including Brighton Shores, The Strathmere Corporation and Corsons Inlet Land Company





Back then, Strathmere was just known as Corson's Inlet. It was named for the settlers John and Peter Corson, who had sailed across the inlet between Ocean City and Strathmere. In 1881 the West Jersey Railroad only ran from Camden to Cape May. In 1884 they built a line up the coast through Corson's Inlet to Ocean City. It is said that many of the men who built the railroad line stayed at the Whelen Inn (now known as the Deauville) That train stopped where the West Jersey Cottage was later built.

 







The town of Corson's Inlet became part of Upper Township in 1905, when it was annexed to the Township for $31,500.00. In 1908 the Atlantic Seashore Improvement Co. of Pennsylvannia began to develope the community. The name was changed to Strathmere around 1912. The little town is on the northern point of the island that it shares with Sea Isle City and Whale Beach. The very tip of the island and the bay is still known as Corson's Inlet. The town is only 1-1/2 miles long and just 2 blocks wide. The Corson's Inlet Bridge was later built to connect Strathmere to Ocean City by road.

The card shown to the left and the right is the front and back view of a trade card advertising the development of Strathmere.






Below is a copy of a map of the town from 1904. I had to do it in 2 photos because it was too large for my scanner. It shows the Corson's Inlet Land Co's proposed plan of dividing up the lots. Check out the old street names. Our street, which is now Winthrop, use to be Division Ave. Thank goodness they never got around to building that many houses.




 

In 1909, The McCullough family moved from Philadelphia to Strathmere. They opened the first general store in Strathmere, ran the first post office and later started a Real Estate office and the Strathmere Building & Loan Co. Read about The McCullough Family History

Below are 3 ads that were part of different promotions to get people to come to Strathmere and buy property. The first one included a contest to rename the town. The winner received $1000, and 2 free properties were to be given away to 2 lucky winners who attended the ceremony. We don't know who got to name the town, but we believe that the McCulloughs were given the 2 lots to build a country store on. Mr. McCullough worked for the railroad that was one of the sponser of the trip. There's no date on the ad, we think that it is from 1912. The two other ads are from after the town's name was changed to Strathmere. They are from the late Teens or early 1920s.

Click images for larger views










This add was from a 1900s edition of the 'Moorestown Republican'. Edward H. Cutler was a realtor who did some developing in Strathmere. Click on the image to see a larger view of the ad. It describes all the features used to entice people to buy property and build in Strathmere including wide beautiful beaches, plentiful fishing and drinking water that is 'cool & pure as crystal' It also mentions a trolley service that ran to Sea Isle, and that the 90 minute train ride was the 2nd quickest from Philadelphia to the Jersey Shore. The ad also mentions Mr. E.R. Stackhouse as a contact. I assume it is the same Stackhouse who had a home on the beach at one time in Strathmere. The house that is shown in the ad is on Vincent.

This ad was sent to us by Dennis Weaver, who runs a personal site about the history of - Maple Shade . Click image for larger view










Another early ad for homes for sale in Strathmere - click for larger view





Below is a drawn advertisement showing the proposed developement of the point of the island by the Strathmere Developement Company. The 3 big houses shown in the drawing were never actually built, they were just ideas. Good thing, because that house out on 'Kennedy Harbor' would have been gone in the first big storm. The next image with the company name is the envelope that the ad came in. Click images for larger views









Early photo from the Teens of the 'Strathmere Lumber yard', along Commonwealth.






In the 1920's, another company came to develope Strathmere. This project was called 'Brighton Shores' Below are some advertisements from the company, showing a proposed division of lots on the point in Strathmere. They also planted 500 trees as part of their project. 2 of those Brighton Shores' trees still stand in front of our house today. Below is the front cover of a brochure, the next image shows the prices for lots on the inside. The last photo is the sign for the project. Click images for larger views.

 





Building the road to Ocean City, circa 1919.




A promotional package of paper drinking cups from the Strathmere Corporation.





Post Cards of The West Jersey Cottages & The Whelen (now the Deauville Inn)
2 of the first hotels in Strathmere, both built in the late 1800s







This view of the point was taken in 1917, from atop the a-frame of the West Jersey railroad bridge, going over the bay.
Check out the old bulkhead - 'This is Strathmere'








More - Strathmere History & Photos page 2






All photos and text Copyright Carol Baker. Do not copy or reproduce.


Home